Monthly Archives: January 2015

Tried a first pass at lighting

I’ve never light an indoor environment before, let alone a tight confined indoor space like some of the deathstar’s hallways. Another problem is that L4D2, isn’t suppose to have that many lights, but the deathstar has lot of bright things in the environment, such as doors that have many lights built into them. Lighting the deathstar will be an interesting experience of learning, tweaking, and balance.

2015-01-22_00001 2015-01-22_00002 2015-01-22_00003 2015-01-22_00004

Advertisements

Did some more photoshop texturing

Starting to come together.

2015-01-20_00001

Custom whiteboard

Got to have an escape plan.

2015-01-19_00001

Lightsaber v05

Continued working on the lightsaber. I added a flare and a curved point.

2015-01-18_00004

Iterating on the lightsaber

Did some more work on the lightsaber.

ndi39c7

Even More Texturing

Did some more texture work and added a wall of lightsabers in the control room. With a wall of every melee weapon in the game. It ensures that a player can pick their favorite color lightsaber.

controlRoom_01

More Texturing

Working on grabbing and editing textures for the map.

panels

Most of tonight’s textures were panel textures and mostly from the control room. Textures may seemed squished here, but that is because they need to be a perfect square (more specifically a power of 2) to be a source engine material and texture. Yet, when they get applied to the correct size brush they will look fine.

2015-01-07_00001

Fig. 2 – Grabbing textures (first person screenshots) from Battlefront 2.

Most of the textures were ripped from SW: Battlefront 2, by going in game and taking screenshots. Then I went into photoshop and edited them. Some didn’t need much touch up. Some required a lot of touch up. One was so bad that it wasn’t even recoverable. So I made my own custom version of it. (This would be ds_panel_05 if you were wondering)

ds_panel_05

Fig. 3 – “ds_panel_05.vtf”

Simple lightsaber in the game

Got a simple lightsaber in the game.

got a simple lightsaber in the game

I think this addition will help sell the map and experience more.

The process of replacing a melee weapon in Source was at first not an easy task. But first step is to just try to get through the process with nothing fancy. So I followed this tutorial by Slpinks on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250723629 There was a few slow spots here and there even with the step by step guide. I got stuck at the part with texturing. Luckily there was a video link as well, which I found where my mistake was.

My mistake was that there was a material in Blender, which had a different name from my vtf (Source engine material). The true cause of the problem was that I didn’t create the material on the Hawkgirl Mace and I didn’t even know it existed. So I was calling a material that didn’t exist. But I knew that it had something to do with not linking up the texture to the model correctly, and after digging around, I did find the problem and fixed it.

After I took the Hawkgirl Mace through the process, I started to get familiar with the pipeline workflow and decided to try to get a 100% custom (my own) model into the game. Enter the almighty lightsaber!

The hardest part was getting the lightsaber to glow. I wanted to use the “glow effect” built into source, the one you see when you hover your hand over an item in the game, but I couldn’t figure out how to access the shader. Instead I eventually just duplicated the inner white blade and scaled it up. I then added a new material to that called “blade_color”. In the vmt file for “blade_color.vtf”, I made it transparent so that you can see through it to see the inner core white blade.

Code from “blade_color.vmt” :

VertexlitGeneric
{
“$basetexture” “models/weapons/melee/Blade_Color”
“$translucent” 1
}

This is the basic implementation of the lightsaber. For the final product, I’m going to look into additive blending and using multiple intersecting planes, like how old school trees where done in some game engines. I hear this is how the lightsabers were made in the Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Academy series.